Rep. Pramila Jayapal revealed she contracted COVID-19 and says ‘Republicans who cruelly and selfishly declined to use masks’ during the Capitol siege are to blame
- Rep. Pramila Jayapal revealed that she checked positive for COVID-19 after safeguarding in place in a room with more than 100 people– some not using masks– for hours throughout the Capitol riots.
- ” Only hours after President Trump incited a fatal assault on our Capitol, our nation, and our democracy, numerous Republicans still refused to take the bare minimum COVID-19 preventative measure and merely wear a damn mask in a crowded space during a pandemic– creating a superspreader event on top of a domestic terrorist attack,” Jayapal stated in an intense statement announcing her favorable test.
- She is the 2nd congresswoman to announce a positive test following the Capitol lockdown, which the Participating in Doctor of the United States Congress said on Sunday could have exposed lots of members of Congress to the coronavirus.
- Democratic Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman, a 75- year-old cancer survivor beginning her third term, likewise tested favorable after sheltering throughout the riots.
- Go to Organization Insider’s homepage for more stories
Rep. Pramila Jayapal does not have time for the “self-centered idiocy” of those not using masks in the US Capitol.
She shared this frustration in an announcement on Monday that she evaluated favorable for COVID-19 after sheltering in place during the Capitol riots with GOP members of Congress who she said declined to use masks.
The Democrat from Washington called for “serious fines to be immediately levied on each and every single Member who refuses to use a mask in the Capitol.”
Jayapal is the second congresswoman to announce a positive COVID-19 test after safeguarding in place throughout the Capitol insurrection. Democratic Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman, a 75- year-old cancer survivor from New Jersey, also shared on Monday that she evaluated favorable after safeguarding during the riots.
Recently Jayapal told New York Publication’s The Cut that she was “quarantining now due to the fact that I am persuaded that where we wound up, in the secured space– where there were over 100 people and many were Republicans not wearing masks– was a superspreader event.”
On Sunday, the going to doctor of the United States Congress, Dr. Brian Monahan, alerted that members of Congress might have been exposed to the coronavirus while sheltering in location throughout the more than four-hour siege.
” A lot of Republicans have actually refused to take this pandemic and infection seriously, and in doing so, they threaten everybody around them,” Jayapal said in her declaration. “Only hours after President Trump prompted a deadly attack on our Capitol, our country, and our democracy, many Republicans still refused to take the bare minimum COVID-19 safety measure and merely wear a damn mask in a congested room throughout a pandemic– creating a superspreader occasion on top of a domestic terrorist attack.”
In December, Home Speaker Nancy Pelosi carried out brand-new mask-wearing guidelines for the Home flooring Members are needed to use a mask to be acknowledged to speak and need to keep a mask on when at the mic.
Nevertheless, mask-wearing, which health professionals say is one of the most efficient methods of stemming transmission of the novel coronavirus, has actually ended up being a partisan problem with some in the GOP (consisting of the president) decreasing to use them.
COVID-19, however, does not follow the impulses of politics; the fatal virus continues to spread.
As the Center for Illness Control and Avoidance discusses: “The primary mode by which people are infected with SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) is through exposure to breathing beads bring infectious virus.”
Thus far more than 22 million Americans have been infected with COVID-19 and 376,000 have actually died.
( the heading, this story has actually not been published by Essential India News staff and is published from a syndicated feed.).