#MeToo: False, defamatory statement by Ramani led to others repeating it, MJ Akbar tells court

    0
    0

    #MeToo: False, defamatory declaration by Ramani led to others repeating it, MJ Akbar tells court





    MJ Akbar and Priya Ramani. (File)

    Former Union minister M J Akbar informed a Delhi court on Thursday that “incorrect, defamatory statement” by reporter Priya Ramani against him declaring sexual misconduct led other persons and the media duplicating them.

    Akbar made the submission before Extra Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) Ravindra Kumar through senior advocate Geeta Luthra throughout the last hearing in a criminal character assassination grievance filed by him versus Ramani for supposedly maligning him by accusing him of sexual misbehavior 20 years back when he was a journalist.

    Ramani had actually made claims of sexual misconduct against Akbar in the wake of #MeToo movement in 2018, while he was travelling as a minister.

    Luthra said it was Ramani’s tweets that became the basis of other posts.

    ” False, defamatory declaration by her lead to repeat by other individuals and media. She started this. That” s why immediately after my coming back I (Akbar) made the problem against her,” she stated.

    She stated that due procedure was readily available to females and that Ramani had “no desire to go for due procedure.”

    ” When Ramani says there was no schedule of due procedure, it is incorrect. What they are stating is you can do a parallel trial without going to the courts and the legal system provides to redressal,” she stated.



    She included that Ramani had “no desire to opt for due procedure. There was no interest in due procedure. It is a lot easier to revile someone, malign someone on social media. It is impermissible.”

    Luthra restated that Akbar had an “unblemished track record” that was destroyed by Ramani.

    ” The typical thread in all our evidence and theirs is that Akbar has a reputation which reputation is unblemished till Ramani made her averments. It is not contested,” Luthra stated.

    The proceedings remained inconclusive and the court will further hear the matter on January 12.

    Akbar had actually submitted the criminal defamation complaint versus Ramani in October 15, 2018.

    He resigned as Union minister on October 17, 2018.

    Akbar had earlier informed the court that Ramani had actually maligned him by calling him with adjectives such as “media” s biggest predator” that harmed his credibility.

    He has denied all the claims of sexual harassment against the females who stepped forward during the #MeToo campaign against him.

    Over 20 ladies came up with accounts of the alleged unwanted sexual advances by Akbar while they were working as journalists under him.

    He termed the allegations “incorrect, made and deeply upsetting” and stated he was taking appropriate legal action against them.

    CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
    India.
    ( the headline, this story has actually not been released by Essential India News staff and is released from a syndicated feed.).

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here